The results of our unscientific poll indicate that Chaos Manor Reviews readers would like to see submissions from others. So here is our “Call for Submissions” for articles for Chaos Manor Reviews.
We are looking for ‘Things I Did So You Don’t Have To” articles about computers – software and hardware. Some general guidelines:
- The writing style should be narrative, in the manner of articles written in the past by Dr. Pournelle.
- Pictures are helpful when they can enhance the article’s subject. Any picture should be original, and should not contain people. Illustrations (line drawings, artwork, etc) should be original to the author.
- Links to manufacturer’s web site pages about items should be included; costs of items should include retail and ‘average’ pricing.
- All articles will be reviewed by the Chaos Manor Advisors.
- Articles must be original to the author/submitter, although we may accept previously published items that were written by the submitter.
- There should be no plagiarism or re-writing of previously published articles. Quotes/snippets from resources referenced in the article are allowed with proper attribution.
- No links should be related to affiliate advertising or remuneration.
- Any hardware or software should be purchased by the submitter, and not a result of any remuneration or gifts from manufacturers or providers of the item.
- Any submission may be edited by Chaos Manor Reviews staff/advisors for clarity or brevity; submission is not a guarantee of publication. Articles and material submitted and/or published become the sole property of Chaos Manor Reviews and its entities.
- Articles should be written by end-users, and should not be provided by agents or employees of manufacturers
- Articles should be submitted in Microsoft Word document (doc/docx) or plain/unformatted text format only, with minimal styling (fonts, etc.). You should include any picture/image files separately from the document. You can indicate a location for the pictures/images in the document, but picture/image placement will be decided by Chaos Manor Reviews staff/advisors/editors.
Submit your articles and material via email to email@example.com , with article and materials as attached files to the email. Any questions should be sent to the same email address.
Here’s a preview of the first Chaos Manor Reviews ‘reboot’ column, coming in sooner than “Real Soon Now”.
It has been more than 36 months since I wrote the last Chaos Manor Reviews column. I had many reasons for ending with column number 368 after over twenty years of writing Computing at Chaos Manor. I hadn’t really intended to end it, but early in 2011 I came down with something, had other projects I should have been working on, and missed a column deadline for the first time in the history of the column.
We’ll start with how we have brought Chaos Minor up to date since the last column – and what still needs to be done. As usual we’ll continue to experiment with new stuff, and as always, the emphasis is on using this technology to accomplish things that need doing.
Topics in the first Chaos Manor Reviews columns will include:
- Moore’s Law and Good Enough
- Upgrading to DOCSIS3 Cable Modem
- Wireless and Ethernet and Powerline Networking
- Upgrading Chaos Manor Systems
- Hard Drive Life Cycles and SSD Drives
- Wireless – Faster and Faster
- Good Enough and Ethernet
- Docking Stations
- Living with Firefox
- The Bulging Mac Book Air
- SD Memory Cards
- Winding Down – Books and Movies
You won’t want to miss the reboot of Chaos Manor Reviews. We suggest that you enter your email address in the Subscription box over on the right so you will be notified when the column is published.
As always, you are welcome to comment on any column post. Note that post comments are moderated, and Dr. Pournelle may not respond due to his time constraints. You can send an email to him via the Contact form.
Chaos Manor Reviews is being rebooted!
Dr. Pournelle’s popular monthly column will soon restart here. Look for his discussions on computers and “Doing Things So You Don’t Have To”.
If you want to be notified of new content, enter your email address on the “Subscribe to CMR Newsletter” box on the right column. You will get an email notice of new posts here (and we won’t use your email address for anything else).
In the meantime, you can peruse older CMR columns by using the links to the right. You can also visit the Chaos Manor site at http://jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/ .
Stay tuned! The Chaos Manor Reviews Reboot is coming “Real Soon Now” !
If you wish to contact Dr. Pournelle, use the Contact form.